Racism in Football: Americas media delima Method
For my final project I have chosen to research and analyze the phenomena that is racism in sports media with a focus on football. To do this I first wanted to draw on times I can recall where there was a lot of political and racial discourse going on do to thing that were happening in the sports world. For me the first event that came to mind was Colin Kaepernick and his national anthem protest that sparked a racial fire that had its roots deep in the ugly and shameful past of the United States. I chose to use Kaepernick's experience as the ground work for my introduction using it to detail the power that media has in sports and the racial biases that plague said media.
After my introduction I researched Jimmy Snyder, a former football broadcaster from CBS who was fired after making racially insensitive quotes on record in a 1988 interview prior to a football game featuring the NFL team Washington DC had at the time and the Minnesota Vikings. I researched Jimmy as a bridge between old examples of racism in sport media and new examples which are no less aggressive than the past however they are more plentiful and personal than ever. After this I researched the introduction of social media into the world of sports journalism.
With the back ground that I built for this topic I went searching for specific examples of racist ideology in the form of social media. I purposefully found 5 examples which are all from different forms of social media ranging from blog post to twitter and instagram feed updates. I analyzed these sources for their surface level impact and their deeper meaning by following the reactions that were given to these outrageous examples to see how the post effected other people.
In the end I conclude what the state of racism is in the world of social media by recalling my sources and the public reaction to the post which I reference. I again allude to Jimmy Snyder and the impact that he had on the world of sports media and how the same issues which plagued media in his time also serve to divide the world that we live in today.

Comments
Post a Comment